In a virtual setting you can cover more content in a condensed time, but you still need to make sure it’s delivered in such a way that it will be effective and retained as much as possible.
1. Cameras On, Mics On!
Ensure your participants are present and engaged. It also helps your facilitator know that everyone is following along or if any topic or individual needs more attention.
2. Switch it Up + Keep It Active
Fight the dreaded “Zoom Fatigue” by incorporating different activities in the virtual environment – i.e. the chat function, breakout rooms, and make time for health breaks (particularly for longer sessions). Engagement drives retention, so the more your participants are actively engaged, the more likely they are to retain the content.
3. Consider the Different Learning Styles
- Visual: Learn by Seeing – Share your screen to incorporate visuals, charts, PowerPoint, etc.
- Auditory: Learn by Hearing – Lecture and encourage group discussion (Hint: AVOID putting every word you speak on a PowerPoint slide – instead only put keywords or images and then SPEAK the content vs just reading off the slide).
- Read / Write: Learn by Reading + Writing – Encourage note taking, provide resources before, during and after the training whenever possible (worksheets, books, articles).
- Kinesthetic: Learn by Doing – Incorporate activities, encourage movement, incorporate the use and manipulation of physical items into your training (i.e. a deck of cards, origami, or other easily accessed items).
*Note: There are other learning styles, but these are the four most popular.
4. Beware Information Overload
Just because you said it, doesn’t mean they get it. Encourage active participation. Ask and invite questions. Be willing to sacrifice some content for more interaction.
5. Incentivize + Consider Game Play
Incorporate a fun game to the session. Better yet, raise the stakes by offering a team or individual prize (even just “bragging rights” can get people excited to play). Nothing like some fun, friendly competition to get attention spans going and energize a group.
6. Provide Practical Takeaways + Resources
Provide resources for review, checklists, activities, books, and sources to learn more and continue the learning process after the training ends.
# # #
Oh yeah, did you know that in addition to being experienced trainers, all of our facilitators have a background in entertainment??
Learn more about your offerings all designed to ENGAGE participants, BOOST morale, and make training STICK all while creating memorable moments of joy and laughter. View our corporate training offerings here.
Ready to find the perfect training option for your team? Let’s talk.